Friday 30 January 2015

Alice in Wonderland - developing initial designs of front cover - design 1, 2 and 3

I developed a few of the initial designs that I considered I would be able to refine further, by focusing on the portrayal of the perspective and placement of the text in relation to the image. I needed to also take into consideration the location of the 150th anniversary logo that needs to be clearly seen and work well with the cover. For the first development I focused on the falling down the rabbit hole illustration, which I needed to consider the perspective of the character and the objects that she would interact with. I felt that the thumbnail design 2 and 3 were the most successful, so I took this further and merged the designs to create the final development. This design was successful as it incorporated a perspective in which you could see the character and main environment that she was situated in, along with objects and the placement of the logo. I felt that I would be able to take this design even further through the use of room to be able to hide a password with in the illustration in which the young audience can find, making the book more interactive and attractive to the target market.
Feedback from Peers:

"Like the design as it suits the target audience. Its fun and interesting to attract the audiences attention. Consider the colour scheme that you will use." - Anna Picariello

"I like the detail added with Alice, it works well with the style that you have used. However the character needs hands as it would work with the style that you have gone for." - Roxanne Shanks

The feedback given from my peers was positive and helped me to consider how I could improve the design further when adding colour and the final detail to the illustration. When applying a colour scheme I need to consider how this can attract the audience, vivid colours and a mixture of pastel colours. With the main proportion and limbs of the character, I need to practice with how detailed they need to be with the style of the illustration, the proportion needs to be simple to match the rest of the design and become aesthetically pleasing to the target market.



I wanted to take the Victorian portrait design further as I felt that it would suit the young audience but also the gift buyers who would be buying the product. I also noted that the design would attract another audience which would be slightly older than the young audience, older primary school audience, through the use of the minimalistic background and the imagery that is on the boarder surrounding Alice. The swirls that were emitted from the frame that Alice was situated in worked well as they acted like a shelf of sorts for the items to hang and rest upon. It also related well to the victorian portrait which I believe works with the era that the book was written. I did struggle with the placement of the logo as it wasn't incorporated with in the image due to the complexity of the swirls, so the placement was in the white space of the cover. It felt more of a sticker rather than part of the design. I considered adding a top hat to the logo as to make it feel like it is part of the design, however it still felt out of place. The only solution I had to this problem was to situate the logo to the top left corner but closer to the design, which worked with the structure of the design, but in my opinion it still felt out of place.


Developing the Mad Hatters tea party design proved to be difficult through the use of the perspective and trying to consider how complex the perspective is may lose the attention of the target market that the illustration is ultimately attracting. I tried to experiment with how far I could push this boundary, whether I needed Alice in the image or just show the back of her compared to a shoulder shot of her. I found that the most successful design was the 1st design in which I depicted Alice in the image with a teapot in front of her. I felt that this image worked due to the perspective in which the title can be read on the teapot, drawing more attention to the character Alice.
Feedback from Peers:

"I Like the teapot at the front of the perspective and Alice being behind instead of the foreground. However I like the perspective that makes the table seem longer, with the Mad Hatter at the end of the table. Possibly experiment more with these perspectives." - Roxanne Shanks

From the feedback given, I felt that the perspective would work well if I incorporated elements from the thumbnail designs, 1 and 3. However I think that this design would be better suited for a book illustration due to the detail in the image and room to add a background environment for a password to be hidden amongst the trees, table and the items placed upon it.




No comments:

Post a Comment