Sunday 16 March 2014

La Joie de Vivre

La Joie de Vivre was created by Anthony Gross and Hector Hoppin in 1934, whom teamed up to create the animation company Animat, which was later renamed Societe Hoppin et Gross.
In their animation, La Joie de Vivre, the characters figures are depicted in elongated proportions which reminds me of a mixture of fashion illustrations and art nouveau through the style of line and the facial features. The use of the solid fill of either white or black makes the figure stand out more even though the lines that variate in thickness are quite simple. The lines capture the main contour of the figures shape and as the characters dance, the movement is fluid and smooth, which works well with the illustrative style of the animation. This form of drawing inspired me with my quick 10 second sketches, as the thick black lines reminded me of charcoal and marker pen, which I began to use when sketching.

No comments:

Post a Comment